‘We have now reached an agreement’: Gov. Beshear calls special session addressing eastern Kentucky flood funding

“We’ve had productive conversations — not bipartisan, but nonpartisan. We have now reached an agreement,” the governor said.

FRANKFORT, Ky. — Nearly a month after catastrophic flooding devastated areas of eastern Kentucky, Gov. Andy Beshear has called a special session.

The governor said he had been speaking with state leaders since the storm hit to come up with a safe fund much like the Western Kentucky Tornado Fund, which the state can keep money in to help the affected counties.

“We’ve had productive conversations — not bipartisan, but nonpartisan. We have now reached an agreement,” Beshear said in a video released on Twitter.

Residents in 12 counties affected by the flood can be able to submit applications on Wednesday for disaster food assistance.

RELATED: Beshear announces start of flood removal for “one of the most traumatic events of our lifetime”

Flood victims can call (833) 371-8570 from 8 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday and 9 am to 2 pm on Saturdays. They are urging people to use the phone service because it is the fastest way to receive benefits.

Those needing help can also go in person at a Department for Community Based Services office or at a Disaster Recovery Center. Click here for more information.

The special session is expected to begin at noon on Wednesday.

Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the WHAS11 News app now. For Apple or Android users.

Have a news tip? Email assign@whas11.comvisit our Facebook page or Twitter feed.

MORE EASTERN KENTUCKY FLOODING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=videoseries

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.